Armpro Tapping Machine
Tapping is a process of making screw threads inside a work-piece.
Armpro tapping machine is a kind of internal thread tapping machine tool that can perform internal thread tapping on the forward and reverse fastening connection threads. It is a widely used in industrial process and fabrication wherever there is a need for a screw.Armpro tapping machine can be broadly divided into four kinds: Electric tapping machine, Bench tapping machine, CNC tapping machine and Pneumatic tapping machine. Armpro tapping machine delivers accurate tapping functionality by consuming a small amount of space for accurate tapping results.
The Buyer's Guide
Tapping Machine: The Ultimate Buying Guide in 2021
The tapping machine is one of the most widely used equipment in the mechanical industry and used in multiple industries for making internal threads. The most widely recognized association is the screw association. To screw a screw into a workpiece, you need internal threading.
There are many different types of tapping machines that work according to the combination of threads. You may get confused while selecting a suitable machine for your according to your need and demand.
Henceforth, in this guide, I am going through all the important aspects of the Tapping machine to make it easy for you to choose the best solution for your production. Let’s jump into our main topic now.
1. What is a Tapping Machine?
Tapping is a very versatile machine that's used in the construction industry for producing threads or, in layman, called holes in different materials. Tapping tools come in various types along with various sizes. And you will find this type of machine used for boring holes in those delicate gold jewelry to boring holes in those giant heavy metal plates etc.
A tapping machine is essential when it comes to the heavy-duty industry as surely you cannot get boreholes manually with hammers in those big pieces of metals and woods. Selecting the right tapping tool is also important as the tapping tools come in different types.
One type might work for one material and may not work for the other one. Selection of the right tapping tools mostly depends upon the size of the materials, the material used, the size of the thread to be formed, and the accuracy that is required while tapping.
Tapping machines are of various types; some are:
- Pneumatic tapping machine
- Hydraulic tapping machine
- Flex arm tapping
- CNC tapping machine
Tapping tools come with different heads that have different types of thread formations on them. Which type you need to use mainly depends upon the type of industry you are working with. The different angulation of the threads helps to make the right amount of the threads in the materials.
Moreover, one thing that needs to be taken care of is that the head to the tapper should be more firm and stronger than the material used. As it will help the tapper to easily get through the material and perform the work.
2. What is a Flex arm Tapping?
The flex arm has been quite in use in the heavy-duty industry for a long time due to its convenient and efficient use. The flex arm makes the use of any equipment effortless and enables the tools to bend at different levels. The same goes for the tapping machines.
Flex arm Tapping Machine
The use of the flex arm in the tapping machine makes the maneuvering of the tapping machines easy. You will see a lot of the traditional tapping machines that cannot be moved, and if it is a horizontal machine, it is going to only work for horizontal tapping.
Whereas with the help of the flex arm, you can easily use one tapping machine for different directions. Whether it's vertical tapping or horizontal tap, you can easily use one machine for different tasks. You can find different brands in the market that can provide you with flex arms. Flex arms work best with electrical tapping machines.
3.What is a CNC Tapping ?
CNC, also termed computer numerical control, is quite common now when it comes to the heavy-duty industry. This is an important part of heavy-duty machinery nowadays, and most heavy-duty machinery works with the help of the CNC. The computer helps in controlling the machines and provides accuracy and consistency to work. Due to the introduction of CNC in the heavy industry, a lot of the tasks that were impossible before are now possible.
CNC Tapping Machine
The same goes for the tapping machine. The CNC tapping machines are based on the computerized process. The whole system is computerized, and preprogrammed software dictates the whole working of the tapping. The LCDs and the touch panel make the operation of this one easy. You have to insert the time, frequency, and material that you are using with the help of the touch panel. This is an automatic machine, so less human work is needed.
4.What is a Nut Tapping machine ?
The nut tapping machine creates threads in the nut or bolts. The nut tapping machine depends upon the type of supply it Is using. Like the nut tapping machine could be the hydraulic one using the fluid, the pneumatic one using air, or the electrical one that is using the electric power supply.
Nut Tapping Machine
Aside from that, the nut tapping machine is also divided based on the type of nuts it is going to tap.
It can be divided into the following:
- Anti-theft nut tapping
- Hex nut tapper
- Round net tapper
- Flange nut tapping machine
- Blind ole tapper
Aside from that, the nut tapping machines are also classified according to the degree of the automation:
- Fully automatic nut tapper
- Semi-automatic tapping machine
- Nut tapping machine
Moreover, if you are using an electrical nut tapping machine, then all you need to do is fill the hopper with the nuts and screws that you want to tap. And then switch on the machine. The Machine will automatically tap the nuts, and you are good to go.
Semi-Automatic Tapping Machine
5. What is a Tapping Machine used for?
As we mentioned that tapping machines are mainly used to drill holes in the material used in making the heavy-duty equipment, but that's not it; tapping machines are used everywhere. The difference is the size and the working of the tappers. You will find tappers where there is a need for the boring hole so the materials. Whether that is the automotive industry, metal industry, boats, brush handles, and a lot more. You can even find small-sized tappers in creating jewelry. So, you can say that it is quite a versatile machine.
Tappers can be either manual or electric-based on their use. Nowadays, the tappers are coming with CNC systems that make the tapping process even easier and less time-consuming. Although this tool is commonly used by the machinist or engineers, you might also find these tools in the tools box of the automotive technicians.
There is a hell of a lot of situations where the right amount of knowledge in tapping can help you a lot. And the different types of accessories that it comes with make the tapering process even less time-consuming. Moreover, with the help of the tapping machine, you can even create internal threads in the nuts and screws.
Uses Of Tapping Machine
So, whether it's drilling whole during an automobile construction or drilling hole in shoe lasts, tapping is the real helper here. And the best part is that it drills really deep holes.
6. What are the main components of the Tapping Machine?
Knowing about the tool you are using is a must, and hence you should also be well aware of not only the types of tapping machine. But also the components that make up this robust machine. Following are the components of a tapping machine:
Starting from the base to upwards:
- Fixed Base
- Locked up handle at the bottom
- Locked up handle upwards
- Low bracket
- Upper bracket
- Electrical control system
- Power switch
- Touch Panel
- Operating handle
- Moving Head
- Servo motor
- Auxiliary handle
- Torquing chuck
- Screw tap
Components of Tapping Machine
Although components might differ in different types of tapping tools, the most common are these. You can find different types of other features in the tapping machines based on their working principle. So before buying the tapping machine, do study about the different components so as there is no problem during the operation.
7. How will you benefit from a Tapping machine?
Tapping machines can be very handy and useful as these tools make the manufacturing process a lot easier. It is a one-time investment, but it surely lasts a long time if it is maintained for a longer time. Moreover, the added features give you complete control over the process of tapping, especially if it needs precision and extreme accuracy. Tapping being electrical or robotic now makes the process even more hassle-free as just some instruction, and the machine works automatically.
Benefits-Photo Credit: benefitspro
Here are some more benefits that tapping machine provides you with:
- Installing is no rocket science. The quick and easy installation without needing and prior knowledge
- Highly accurate and precise when it comes to screwing or drilling holes
- Taper drills internal threads and that quite deeper one
- Low maintenance cost and the best part is if you keep it in good shape it is going to last you decades
- Have different attachments for different types of tapping processes
- A very fast and reliable process gets the work done in no time
- If you are looking for a tool that drills good internal threads, then this is the best one
- Another good thing about these tools is that you can go for customized taps. You can even customize your taps with the required threads to get the work done.
- No chance of human error while working with these tools
8. Is there any drawback of a Tapping Machine?
Just like every tool has its charms and pros, some cons are attached to every tool. It always depends upon the design in the manufacturing of the tools and, of course, on your budget. The more you spend, the higher featured and high-quality tools you can get. The same goes for the tapping tools. They come in different variations, from manual and electrical to robotic units. While all of them are highly versatile, here are some of the cons that you should know about the tapping products:
Drawbacks-Photo Credit: bss
- If talking about tapping in the drilled holes, then the tapping tools particularly work better with hard materials like steel. As they can dig deeper holes in these types of material than the softer ones.
- You will need different sized taps for introducing different types of threads in a material; hence you will need to buy different heads.
- Customized tap threads are not available. You will have to especially get them customized, whereas other tools like the thread mills have easily available custom heads.
- Customized taps are quite expensive; hence you will need to make some extra investments.
- Taps do not work with higher-speed spindles.
- A tap can only thread in one direction at a time. It will be either in the right or left direction. Whereas other tools do have the capability of threading in both directions at a time.
9. What is the difference between a fully automatic Tapping Machine & Semi-Automatic Tapping Machine?
Automatic Tapping Machine
A fully automatic tapping machine you do not need to work on during the whole process. All you need to do is set up the machine according to the instruction you want and then switch on. The machine will do the work on its own.
Automatic Tapping Machine
These types of machines adopt the automatic feeding method. Aside from that, this has a full tech English page programming system. You need to add precision and accuracy along with the speed of the process, and the machine will do the work on its own. Once you have switched on the machine, there is no human work needed. The tapper automatically starts threading the holes, and you can easily do some other work during that time.
Semi-Automatic Tapping Machine
There is not much of a difference between the automatic and the semi-automatic taping machine, but as the name suggests, there is still some human work that is needed. All things are the same for the semi-automatic, that is, the energy supply and the arm doing the work, but when it comes to aligning the arms of the machine toward the hole.
That is something you need to do on your own. Aside from that, if you are creating thread inside a piece of material, then you will have to manually put the material in the tube through which the piece of material reaches in front of the tapping head. So yes, there is some human work involved when it comes to the semi-automatic tapping process.
Semi-Automatic Tapping Machine
10. How does a Tapping Machine work?
Operating a tapping machine is not rocket science one you have fully understood the process, it will be easy to use tapping work. And if it is fully automatic, then that's even
Tapping Machine with Invertor-Photo Credit: raganar
- Now before tapping, you need to drill the hole in which you want to create the threads.
- After you have successfully created the hole, now is the time to choose the thread according to the size of the hole.
- After that, attach the ahead to the tapping machine.
- If the tapping machine is electric or based on one CNC system, then add all the instructions properly according to which you want your threads to be created.
- Now when you switch on, the tool is engaged, and it starts creating the threads in the desired location.
- The tapping machine has a built fluid injecting system that injects the fluid continually during the whole process to lessen the wear and also to prevent the metal scraps from flying everywhere.
- If you need to change the tapping head, then you can easily change it by taking the prior one out and attaching the new one.
11. What is a hydraulic Tapping Machine?
Hydraulic machines are quite common nowadays, and of course, tapping machines also come in the Hydraulic variants. Hydraulic machines are the ones that work on the principle of using fluids to perform work. There are a lot of heavy-duty machines that work on the principle of hydraulics. The same goes for the hydraulics tapper in which there is a hydraulic motor present. The hydraulic motor has fluid on it that helps the machine in performing the work.
The hydraulic motor is present in the tapping head of the motor. Whereas the flow control and the pressure valves make the operation of the machine easy and specifically are created near the motor.
Hydraulic Tapping Machine
Aside from that, it also contains an articulated arm that has a linear guideway to facilitate the arm in working in various directions. Aside from that, the design of the articulated arm makes it compatible to cover the wider areas.
Moreover, a coolant system is attached to the machine that has a coolant pipe that helps in cooling the stem and does not let it get overheated.
12. Explain the difference between a horizontal Tapping Machine & Hand Tapping Machine?
As we mentioned several times that when it comes to tapping, then there are various types of taper that you will find in the market. Here we are going to discuss the difference between hand tapping and horizontal tapping:
Horizontal Tapping Machine
Hand Tapping Machine: The hand tapping tool is a very basic and beginner tool to begin with when you are new to the engineering or tapping industry. You will find these tools in almost every toolbox of the engineer. This type of tool is mostly paired with the tap wrench to help with the whole process. You can even make a DIY taping tool at home when it comes to the hand tapper.
These are mostly manual, and there is no electric supply needed in them. Before creating threads, the piece of material is removed in which the threads are needed to be created. After that, you insert the tapper in the hole, and the tap scrapes along with the material and creates the internal female threads.
The manual types are because they are very basic types of tools, so they can either be used for initiating that tapping process, or you can even use them to repair the already created threads.
Hand Tapping Machine
Horizontal Tapping Tool: The horizontal tapping machine is the electrical tapping machine. The only difference is the changing of the arm that contains the tapping head of the machine.
Most of the tapping machines are designed in a vertical formation.
But when you have to do some horizontal tapping work, then the arm containing the tapping head is realigned. All the screws and the tapping head are removed. And the arms are aligned in such a way that it works horizontally.
After the arm is aligned correctly, all the screws and the nuts are placed back, and the tapping head is also attached. And there you go, you are ready for the horizontal taping. The rest of the processes are like the regular tapping process.
Hand Tapping Machine
13. What is the difference between Tapping Machine & Drilling Machine?
Do people quite often ask that what is the difference between the drilling and the tapping process, and is there any difference between the two? Well, yes, there I quiet the difference when it comes to the tapping d t drilling process. But one thing common between the two is that both processes are done one after the other. Before tapping, drilling is done to get a smooth hole, whereas, after that, tapping is done to create the smooth threads for matching nuts and bolts.
Now talking about drilling, this process means creating a smooth hole in the material you are using with the help of the drilling machine. Whereas the tapping is done after that in which we create the threads inside the pre-drilled holes. Tapping further is done according to the size and the diameter you want and what type of threads you want.
14. How are the processes of Tapping and Threading different from each other?
A lot of people get confused between tapping and threading. People think that tapping and threading both are the same things as we use the terms tapping threads. But no, there is quite a difference between them both. The main is the surface on which both processes happen.
The tapping process introduces threads in a pre-drilled hole. This is just like a drill with some cutting edges that are called threads. The threads that are present in the head are of different sizes and types and help in creating different types of threads.
Whereas when it comes to the threading than the treading is down with the help of threading mills. Moreover, the threading process basically includes creating threads on the outside of the fastener or nut bolts, etc. This happens with the die tools, and these tools can operate with higher spindle speeds.
Tapping & Threading-Photo Credit: slideserve
Now here is a little difference between both the tools:
- Now when to stop tapping, this process is quite useful for saving time, whereas thread milling is a bit slower process.
- In threading, you can get both the internal and external threads. Whereas when it comes to trapping, you can only get internal threads.
- When it comes to different sizes of the threads in tapping, you need to get different sized taps for that, whereas one thread can work for multiple sizes.
- Taps cannot thread close to the bottom of the material, whereas the threads can create thread close to the bottom of the material.
- Tapping is a great choice for harder materials, and their capacity is about 50 Rc. Threading mulls can even work with a slightly harder material, and they have a capacity of about 60 Rc.
- When tapping, the taps rotate only in one way direction, like towards right or left. But when you go to the threading mills, you can cover both directions at a time.
15. What quality standards a Tapping Machine must fulfill?
Tapping machines do not come cheap. You have to have a big amount of money if you want to have a really good tapping machine. And for that, you need to be sure that the machine you are investing in is actually fulfilling our requirements. Before buying an electrical manual tool, make sure that it has the features that we are looking for. The same Goes for tapping tools. Before you buy a tapping machine, make sure that it has the following qualities if you want the tapping operation to be effortless and, of course, the customer satisfaction:
Quality Standards-Photo Credit: mbaskol
- A good tapper is quick and effortless to install and is something that does not require any additional skill or knowledge to operate.
- A good tapping tool is something that is versatile and can work with multiple-sized threads.
- A good tapper is made up of high-quality products and also contains high-quality components that make operating this one easy.
- The design of a good tapping tool should be user-friendly and not something that takes too much effort from the user side.
- A good tapping product should be designed in such a way that it doesn't require any extra attachments or accessories to work perfectly.
- If a tapping machine is an electrical or CNC type, then the software should be such that the user can easily understand the instructions and is able to operate well.
- A good tapper does not require a lot of maintenance. It should be a low-maintenance tool and longer-lasting product.
- Should comprise of important safety feature in cases of emergency
- Has a good gear arrangement, and is it able to take with several spindle speeds?
16. How to select the best suitable Tapping Machine?
M6-M36 Best Tapping Machine
Tapping is a very important and technical process as a little mistake can totally ruin the whole manufacturing process. How a tapping process is going to turn out mostly depends upon the tools you are using and the compatibility of the tool with the material you are using. We know that tapping tools come in different variations, and getting the best one for your work is essential for your business to work out really well. If you or someone new to the tapping industry or someone who is going to buy the tapping tool for the first time, then you should be mindful of the following points to get the best suitable tapping tool for business:
Type of Taper needed: Before going to buy a tapping machine, you need to know about the different types of tapping tools. Tapping machines do not come in one conventional design. They have different types that work with different mechanics and have entirely different processes of creating threads. A lot of the tapping machines even use different heads for creating threads.
In the market, you will find:
- Manual tappers: These are very basic tools, and you create threads manually with these ones.
Pneumatic tapping tools: these tappers use compressed air as fuel for the tapping machine to work.
- Hydraulic tapping tools:these types of machines use water or any type of liquid as fuel to power the machine for the tapping process.
- Electrical tapping tools:The Power supply for these types of machines is electricity. These work on the electric power to get through the tapping process.
Electrical Tapping tools
- CNC tapping tools: These are quite in demand tapping tools these days. These types of machines work with half a computer. Computerized software is present that controls the whole process of tapping.
- Nut Tapping machines and so on.
Which one you want depends upon the type of material and the products you are working with. The automobile industry needs totally different tappers, and the steel industry is totally different. Firstly, create a good outline of what you require from your tapper and then go for the buying process.
Type of taps needed: Getting the right tapping machine also depends upon the type of taps you need. Taps are basically the heads of the tapping machines that actually go in the material and create threads. The heads have the threads enclaved on them. Now that taps come in different types depending on the materials you are going to use with them. Here are the following types of taps:
- Taper tap: This one is used as the starter tap when you are initially going to be threading. This one is quite easy to identify due to its visible cutting and tapering edges. This one contains 8 to 10 threads and is kind of a gentle tapering tool.
As we mentioned that this one is used for starting the tapping process, so after using it, you will need to go again with something else that gives the threads the final touch. This one is mostly used for basically initiating the tapping process.
Tapper Tap-Photo Credit: drill
- Plug Tap: This type of tap is kind of in between the taper tap and the bottoming tap. It is aggressive than the taper tap but less aggressive than the bottoming tap. This one contains 3 to 5 threads. This one is easy to use, as the taper tap bit; it gives a more complete look to the threads than the taper tap.
Plug Tap-Photo Credit: carbide
- Bottoming Tap: This is the most aggressive type of tapping that comes with almost 1 to 2 tapered cutting edges. This one is not gentle and also not easy to use, but as compared to both previous taps, this one is quite efficient and can create threads up to the bottom of the material. Using this one after the plug or taper tap is used is the best practice as it gives the final touches to the whole project.
Bottoming Tap-Photo Credit: carbide
Aside from the upper classification, the taps are also divided into the following types:
- Spiral flute tap: These tapping tools are quite a good one when you are trying to tap the softer metals or working with the metals that do not chip off. Working with this type is quite easy, but the downside that he has is the strength of this type. This one is not quite powerful, and also the cross-section of the cutting web is not as thick as with the other ones.
Spiral Flute Tap
- Straight flute tap: These types of tapes are good for cutting through the harder material, and these can also work off with the metals that chip off. This is a robust tool that cuts straight down to the shaft of the tap. In these types of taps, during the taping of the blind holes, you need to continuously blow up to clear up the holes if the scraps of the materials clog the hole.
Straight Flute Tap
Type of threads needed: Getting the right tapping tool also depends upon the types of threads you need. Whether it is external threads or internal threads. What does our business require? Because before knowing this, you go to invest in a tapping machine, then it can turn out to be an agreed loss. As the tapping can only provide you with the deep internal threads. Getting you the external threads is not the work of the tapping machine.
Tapping or threading: This is where a lot of people get confused as both the devices do the same work that is threading. But there is a difference in the types of threads these provide. The tapping machines openly provide you with internal threads.
You use these types of the machine after the drilling of the whole to adorn the inside with the threads. Whereas the threading mills are used to provide you with both the external and the internal threads. The threading mills help in creating threads on the fasteners. Moreover, the threading mills also have a slightly more capacity to work with hard materials than the tapers.
Your budget: Of course, the budget matters a lot when it comes to investing in not just the taper but any other tools you are going to buy. Due to the different features and specifications of the tapping tools, the prices go higher. So before buying, always draw out the outline of your budget, whether your budget actually allows you to go for the high-tech versions or not.
Budget-Photo Credit: buffer
Type of material you are using: Last but not least, how the tapping tools of going to work also depends upon the materials you are working on. Tapping tools are available to work both the delicate to hard materials. So, what tapper will be best for you also depends upon the type of material you are going to use for the product manufacturing.
17. What are the different problems that you may encounter while using a Tapping Machine & how to troubleshoot these problems?
Using different machines that you are definitely going to face different problems during the span of use. You might need to repair or replace different parts, might have to totally get new software and a lot of things like this that you surely face during the use of a tool. While being a tapping machine owner can surely be a good thing and make your process less time-consuming but also keep in mind that you are also going to face different problems. Here are some of the common problems that you might face while using a tapping machine:
Breaking of the tap: This is by far the most common problem that you may face when using the tapping machine, and that is the tap breakage. With continuous use for a long time, the tap heads are bound to break, or chipping of the taps may happen.
Broken tap-Photo Credit: north
Now for this, a lot of people consider that replacing the tap with the new one is the only option. But wait here. Before going for the replacing option, do check some factors.
Is your machine using the correct power output?
Are you overloading your Machine with work?
Is the tap head sharp enough to work with the materials? If not, then before replacing it is better to get the taps sharpened 2 or 3 times. If still not working, then go for the replacing option.
Is the geometry of the tool good, and the alignment of the tap Is fine? As the wrong alignment can also break the taps.
Last but not least is the hole that you are tapping is even compatible with the tap you are using. As if the hole is too narrow or way too shallow, and you aren't using the tap according to it. Then you are bound to break your tap.
Tap reversal failure: Now, another most common problem that you might face while tapping is the tap reversal failure or stalling of the tap during reversal. These problems basically indicate that your cutting angle is way too tight. Or the chips are jamming in the tap flutes, due to which the tap cannot work properly during the reversal.
Tap Failure-Photo Credit: xometry
Now the reversal failure happens, then you should increase the cutting angle to make sure that the tap can reverse perfectly. And if the tap is stalling, then you need to prevent the clogging of the scrapes. Reversal stalling also means that you aren't using the right tap. Or try changing the tap that has the right number of chamfers or the right cutting angles.
Chipped threads: If you are facing the issue of the chipped threads, then this means that you are not using the right tap or the alignment of the tap, or the hole is not correct. Because even the slight misalignment of the tap and the hole can really affect the tap's heads, causing them to chip the threads.
Another reason for the chipped threads is the dull taps. This means if the taps are not sharp enough, then you can definitely face this problem. The tap needs to be harder and sharpen the materials it is working with, and if not, then the threads get damaged.
Chipped Thread-Photo Credit: napa
Damaged threads in the tapped part: Last but not least, another problem that you might face a lot of time is the damaged threads in the tapped parts. And it's quite bad as it ruins the whole process. If your machine is only tearing the material and not creating the right threads, then it means that the speed for tapping is way too low.
Aside from that, another reason for not getting those right threads is that your tap is dull and not sharp enough. That means you need to sharpen the tap. Moreover, If the threads itself in your tap are damaged, then no wonder why you are getting the damaged threads. For that, replace your tap as if the threads in the tap head are damaged, then you cannot do anything. The only option is to replace it.
Damaged Threat-Photo Credit: kel
18. What safety features is a Tapping Machine must-have?
While using a tool, the safety features are the most important part, and you should be mindful of safely using the tapping machine. As to avoid any serious injury or condition, you should be mindful of following the safety instructions. Following are the instruction that is needed to be followed while using a tapping machine:
- The most important feature of a good tapping machine is that it comes with an instruction manual that has all the safety instructions listed in it.
- While using a tapping machine, be mindful of what you are wearing. The rotating spindle can easily snag the loose-fitting clothes that could be a cause of serious injuries.
- Always be in proper attire, no hairs, no jewelry, or anything like that, as it can hinder the tapping process and possibly be a cause of your injury.
- Eyes protection is the most important and always, whereas safety glasses protect your eyes from the flying process of the scrapped material.
- Be sure of the proper fixture of the tapping head or any other tool that is needed to be attached to the machine.
- The machine should be properly placed so as it does not move or rotate a lot during the tapping process.
- Beware not to touch the tapping attachment as it may become hot after the operation. So, whenever you are going to change the tapping heads, be sure to be careful and potentially do not touch anything without wearing the safety gear.
- Last but not least, it is always better to make a checklist of the equipment you are using and one by one check all of the instructions you have written on it.